August 03, 2011

Smallies all weekend long.

It seems that pretty much the only thing I've been catching lately is smallmouth bass. Not that I can complain, as far as freshwater fish go, they are one of the most fun to catch! I went up to Ottawa again this weekend for an epic 25km kayak run on the Rideau with my dad and bro. I also found some time to go hunt for some SMBs despite the sore muscles from all that kayaking. Here are some highlights from the weekend.  

Nice fishing spot at a dam on the Jock river near Ottawa.
Smallmouth Bass (micropterus dolomieu)
SMB on the fly at the Jock river dam.
Smallmouth Bass (micropterus dolomieu)
Gorgeous colours on this smallie on the Jock river.
Smallmouth Bass (micropterus dolomieu)
Back on my home fishing grounds at Nun's Island on the St. Lawrence river.
Smallmouth Bass (micropterus dolomieu)

Despite getting caught in a massive thunderstorm, I still managed to pull out a few decent smallmouths.
Smallmouth Bass (micropterus dolomieu)
The calm after the storm. The last bass of the day.
Smallmouth Bass (micropterus dolomieu)
SMB caught on the Rideau river near Manotick.
Testing out my waterproof camera with this underwater shot.
Smallmouth Bass (micropterus dolomieu)
Wait a minute, that's not a bass. It's a walleye! Ferocious looking head on this beautiful golden fish.
Walleye (sander vitreus)
Besides juicy crayfish, bass love to eat these guys.
Northern Leopard Frog (rana pipiens)
Paddled 25km on the Rideau river from the mouth of Jock river to the Rideau Falls. 


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment