This past week I've had the chance to go out on the water and test out the new QRAS anchor system and so far it is proving to be very effective! I can stay motionless despite the current. This allows me to do some bottom fishing, something I'm unaccustomed to.
Yesterday I was a couple of hundreds metres off of the east side of Nun's Island, fishing sardines on the bottom with the hopes of enticing a sturgeon to bite. As usual I saw a few big specimen breaching (jumping out of the water). After about an hour of sitting still in my kayak staring at my rod tip, something big hammered my sardine and sent my reel screaming. Luckily I had my homemade hatcam on and I was able to capture the fight on video. Unfortunately, due to my lack of preparedness, I did not get a chance to weigh this beast but from its length (see pic below: almost as long as my leg) and his girth, I am estimating it was about 10lbs. It was the largest catfish I've ever caught and he gave a pretty good fight! As usual, after unhooking him and taking a few pictures, he was released alive and in healthy back in the water.
| It was almost as long as my leg! (that's what she said) Channel Catfish (ictalurus punctatus) |
| Side view: he was quite hefty and thick! Channel Catfish (ictalurus punctatus) |
| Channel Catfish (ictalurus punctatus) |
Nice one!
ReplyDelete